Wednesday, June 02, 2010

wisdom tooth extraction

745AM -
bzzttt. my alarm woke me up, but it was my mind that snapped me awake. The day of reckoning. The day to remove my wisdom tooth.

Not my normal extraction, by surgery. Cos it's lower jaw and it's difficult or something. Otherwise can just pluck.

Am i nervous/scared? Hell yes. It's the first time i'm doing something like that, and I cant say i really enjoy going to the dentist. Who does?

910AM -
Arrival at dentist. The nurse informs me that the dentist is caught in traffic and may be a bit late. -_- cheers, more time to spend worrying and being nervous. I'm firing off SMSes to random people who are replying me in hopes of allaying my fears.

935AM -
My appointment was supposed to be at 930, but still no news. I'm waiting anxiously on the couch, unable to distract myself with the boring dental magazines available there. The butterflies in my stomach are fluttering around looking for some flower to suck on.

Close to 10AM -
The dentist is finally ready, so I'm called into the room. He goes through the procedure with me, warns me of the risks of surgery, asks me to sign a consent form which clears him if he takes out all my teeth accidentally with the wisdom tooth.
Ok fine maybe not that but basically to say i understand the risks and I want it.

10AM +
I get my shot of Local Anesthetic to numb my gum area, etc. The first needle prick was the most uncomfortable cos i could feel it go all the way in.. but it numbed up the area so i didn't really feel subsequent ones.

So after delivering me my dose of LA, they got me ready for the surgery, including draping some cloth thing over my chest (wtf? blood will spurt out one ah?) and covering my eyes with that same cloth.

And so.. the surgery began. He began cutting up the edges around my tooth (or at least that's what it felt like, i had no idea what he was doing and i didn't really feel much pain except for the pressure of him sawing around my tooth.
Ok then from this point on I am not 100% sure what he's doing cos the whole area was quite numb, i can only guess.

Then he started pulling at my tooth and of course there was some pain so I pain some small noise when there was pain and he stopped. (EDIT: you can see that when I am recalling that memory there is so much pain that i keep typing pain. I meant 'so i made some small noise when there was pain' )
I"m not sure what he did, maybe he applied more Local Anesthetic to numb it more, maybe he didn't. I couldn't really feel needle pricks.

So this just went on, the pulling around at my tooth, he'll stop abit when there's pain, etc.. I try to dahan already my clenching the sides of the seat. And he can see when my whole body tenses up so he'll stop abit.

Then i don't know what happen, i think my tooth too problematic and he getting impatient. Then he start whacking already. He took some electric saw thing and started sawing. After sawing in abit of course got pain, so i said.

THEN. I THINK TAKING TOO LONG. So he start YANKING with like full strength at my tooth from different angles.. it was DAMN PAIN. Like wtfwhereisthelocalanesthetic. The nurses had to hold my head cos i think they also know damn pain. And one was patting my arm.

And the dentist kept going "Sorry ah... sorry alan.. sorry.. sorry alan.. " as he was yanking with all his strength. The pain was f-cking intense can?? Just imagine your tooth getting pulled out of its socket. That was what it felt like.
This went on for like 5-10 minutes!!! It was freaking torture. If he had went "ok alan tell me all your secrets now" i'll probably rattle off as much as i could though i couldn't really speak to get him to stop.

So after like an eternity of tugging and yanking and more sawing and me struggling while the nurse held me down (she held on to my head so i wouldn't move too much), the dentist suddenly said " ok, your wisdom tooth is out".
THANK GOD .
Then after that he stitched me up which i couldn't feel.. even if i did it couldn't be as pain as the yanking out of my tooth.

Now
My left side of my face is still kinda numb, though the LA is wearing off. Just took the painkillers, though some of my teeth still really hurt from the trauma. Like it feels like someone is trying to pull them out. My centre bottom 2 teeth.Hope i don't lose any of my other teeth!!! Cos it really feels like that :S

Swelling hasn't begun.. heard tmr it'll swell up. Hope not too big!

Tmr i've to go back to work somemore! No choice cos the person i'm covering is leaving on Friday and I need to take over properly and learn finish everything and confirm everything.
AND, the sucky thing is i have to give tuition tmr and fri night as well!!

Tomorrow is some new kid which i just got.. so... screwed. I don't think i can talk much.. so i think i'll just throw alot of work at the kid. Hope it works out fine.
Fri is winsome which is better.

Ouchhh my teeth still hurt now. Biting down on a gauze to try to stop the bleeding.. but it hurts. :(

WTB fastforward.